Friday, May 13, 2011

6 Needed Features in Edmodo

It's that time again... for me to ask about features in Edmodo.

1.  Google Apps Integration:  When? When? When?  I found an LMS that does this already - http://class.io/ - however, their overall look and feel and user experience is MUCH lower than Edmodo's.  Google Apps for Education is NEEDED for Edmodo to just take over the LMS world!  I know some schools with Apps for Ed that basically use that as an LMS - turn in assignments, notifications, etc.  Why would they need Edmodo on top of that?  I know the answer, but it's hard for them to see.  Edmodo with Google Apps integration (not just single sign on) is the answer.

2.  Analytics: this needs to be greatly improved on Edmodo.  It is INVALUABLE when I can (easily) tell parents the last time their student was on the class site, what links they clicked, etc.  The parent feature helps, but doesn't tell them when their student has logged in, etc.  Time spent (with detailed log/charts) would be cool, too, so the kids don't get hip to just logging in and then out.





3.  Edmodo API: As a developer, I would LOVE to be able to add useful Apps to Edmodo with an App Market (or whatever they can legally call it).  I see this as a perfect way for Edmodo to monetize.  Content providers could also be part of this.  Direct purchasing (within Edmodo) would make the user experience seemless.

4.  Public Page and RSS:  This needs to be a priority, too.  The RSS feed needs reorganization with appropriate fields.  "Assignment by Me" for all assignments is NOT a title.  A "share" feature would be nice on the public page -- embed it, better RSS, etc.  It would like to (easily) embed the public page on my Google Sites class website.

5.  Facebook and Twitter: One "cool" thing that could be added to the Post Bubble would be options to post it to Facebook and/or Twitter.  Or, do #3 (open up the API) and let me create this feature as an add-on. :)

6.  I read one of Edmodo's replies their Support Community that they will have a quiz app feature before next school year.  Thank you!!!  Much appreciated.


I love Edmodo and tell all of the teachers I meet about it -- even non-teachers.  I also see room for improvement.  What I really do like is that I think Edmodo has many of the same visions.


Thanks for listening,
Steve


>>Double Posted on My Class Site

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Here is #7 (partly goes with #3)...

Gamification for students:
I would LOVE to have gamification (Badges, Progress Bar, Coupons, Achievements, Levels, Virtual Goods, Leaderboard, etc.) as part of the student experience.

If you (Edomodo) do not plan on adding this feature, PLEASE open up the API so someone like me can create an App for that. :)

Unknown said...

#8 Assignments
-- Locked (Yes/No)
-- Due-Date-Locked
-- Dependently-Locked (based on another assignment)

One MAJOR feature of Moodle (using a plugin) was that I could lock out an assignment until a student passed the previous assignment. That way, it would be progressive, sequential learning, which happens A LOT in learning computer programming. A student should not be allowed to go on to number 4 without understanding number 3.

Another great tool would be able to set a due date and NOT allow turn-ins after that date. I know I can set policy in my class that I won't accept late assignments, but to have it so on Edmodo would mean so much more. -- At least, make it blatantly clear that they turned their assignment in late -- bold text with red background for the turn in date, please.

A simple locked/unlocked switch is always a good tool. Almost all polling sites do this -- activated/draft... published/unpublished... locked/unlocked... etc.